Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Munich in winter

... is another fine city, I do like being here. It's cold, a good 6°C colder than Stuttgart, probably due to being (a) up on the high plains, and (b) out in the plains, exposed to the howling winds, rather than huddled into a valley.

I skipped out on the conference dinner last night, just didn't feel up to the train ride there and back or the stress of conversation. Walked around the neighbourhood where my nameless partner in the database lives, and ate in a fine Indian restaurant. Walking home at 9:15, I was nearly alone in the city: the streets were empty, few cars and no pedestrians. Munich sleeps early, or at least is a homebody.

I walked up the Augustenstrasse to the square where a friend lives, debated ringing her doorbell then decided not to (the lights were off). I stayed in her apartment for three weeks in the autumn of 1992, when I was considering moving away from London but hadn't decided where to go. There is a fountain in the square which burbles all night long (though not in winter, alas); I used to like leaning out of the open window and looking out into the night-lit city, listening to the fountain.

Time to leave, I have a train to catch. More this evening, perhaps.

Twenty down, ten to go.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Hope the database stuff went well. Will you be continuing on with that project?

November 20, 2007 at 7:17:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Pacian said...

"I walked up the Augustenstrasse"

Best sentence ever.

November 20, 2007 at 8:24:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Patti said...

I love Minich in winter. Is the Weinachtsmarkt up yet?

November 21, 2007 at 2:51:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

Joe: very likely.

Pacian: thank you, but why do you say that? What exactly is so resonant in it for you?

Patti: not yet, but they were starting to set it up.

November 22, 2007 at 8:24:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

Munich sounds like a decent city with nice conservative folks, not hooligans. I bet everyone wakes up early too! So you met your unnamed partner working together on the database? Sounds like that software is getting pretty powerful (although I can't really speak geek).

November 22, 2007 at 10:52:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home