Thursday, October 04, 2007

Interesting times

Y'all may remember that I gloated some weeks back about booking a Lufthansa flight on a train, getting all pan-Europeanishly smug about our integrated transportation services and how very clever we are.

The Deutsche Bahn will be shut down by a strike tomorrow morning, from 8 to 11am. My "flight" leaves the station in Stuttgart at 11:27, assuming that it does actually go anywhere. This could get very exciting.

I hate exciting.

There's nothing I want less when travelling than excitement. Once I arrive, yes, of course; but not during the getting there phase. I can think of nothing, really nothing, that could happen on a plane that might legitimately be called exciting, which might not just as truthfully be called "horrific" or "utterly terrifying" or "life-endangering." No no, when travelling my motto is "give me boredom, and lots of it."

We shall see.

I am about to pack and prepare for the holiday. I hope that I will have time and opportunity for a quick post tomorrow, but just in case I don't manage to: Have a peaceful and pleasant two weeks, my dears, be kind to yourselves and each other.

[Updated: in case I don't get online, here's tomorrow's Favourite and its link. Enjoy the mellowfulness.]

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

I want teleportation. I hate the getting there. Love being there, love coming back. But in a very un-zen way, I dread the actual journey.

October 4, 2007 at 9:13:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger nn said...

Hope that everything will go smoothly tomorrow.
Have a nice holiday!

October 4, 2007 at 9:51:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it really made me smile how you described that, but i prefer boredom too when i travel - have a great journey & holiday, by the way they said something of Notfallfahrplaene, so i hope it sorts out.
And peaceful-revolutionday is a great idea.

October 4, 2007 at 10:01:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Well, good luck and good trip. We'll miss you.

October 5, 2007 at 6:57:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Lioness said...

"I hate exciting." I'll say, isn't it the pits while travelling? You have all my sympathy, ich druecke dir die Daumen! Hopefully you won't need them, but hey, you can always blog abt it. ;)

Best of luck dahling!

October 6, 2007 at 10:49:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Thanks for the good wishes, it did indeed all turn out well in the end.

October 20, 2007 at 8:55:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home