Sunday, September 30, 2007

The peasants are revolting

Human Chain in Second Life, protest against violence in Burma
human chain_003
Originally uploaded by udge
I spent Saturday evening as a link in a human chain across Commonwealth Island, in protest against violence and repression in Burma. All very worthy and feel-good-ish and so on, but my inner skeptic doubts that the Burmese army will be particularly impressed.

The advantage of virtual protesting (as against real life) is that one's avatar doesn't get cold, wet, tired, hungry or beaten up by the police. One joins the line, summons one's friends by Instant Message, and spends a few hours chatting and eavesdropping.

Second Life is becoming populated with my blogging buddies, another two regular commenters here have just signed up (I'll leave it up to them to out themselves if they wish).

In other news it's a cool sunny Sunday, I shall make brunch and go to work for a few hours after posting this.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes that's good recruiting and sometimes it's good and fair to share one's own SL IDs.. and sometimes, not. I had my referral code widget on my blog for a while and took it away, I'd rather give the lindens to friends who are starting out :) -I made an exception here and hope to SL-meet you soon when First Life™ relents a bit. I have been following the Myanmar situation too. But as you say, not a chance. It's great to do things in avatar though, sometimes it even has an impact on the world at large ... I met people from the SL university representation where I've given a few conferences in person and they have done a great job in SL too and planning to do live music events on the main sim where I live, but will blog a bit more about that later. Have a good Sunday evening and thanks for comment, someone gets cornballs which is nice:)

September 30, 2007 at 8:51:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Diana said...

S.L. intrigues me terribly but I don't think I can manage yet another life. Blogging life has taken a hit recently, thanks to Real Life.

October 1, 2007 at 8:27:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

First Life is getting in the way here too. Odd, that. Must be that general, autumnal another-year-starts-up effect.

October 1, 2007 at 9:00:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home