Tuesday, September 25, 2007

On looking at a certain photograph

Spent the whole day in the office, and very pleasant it was too—primarily because I was alone. G was on a site inspection, U was at home preparing the nest for the eagerly awaited new arrival.

Made a first draft of the commemorative brochure (there must be a nicer phrase than that) for my parents' wedding anniversary celebration. The photos need some fine-tuning as they are relatively dark and low-contrast-ish.

It's funny, I have known my parents' wedding photograph all my life (obviously) but I had never really looked at it closely until today. My gods, how young they were, much younger than I am now. I was astonished to realize when tweaking and prodding the brochure that my mother was married in a coloured dress (the photo is monochrome, so I can tell only that it was a dark, solid colour), a very simple, straight-forward, un-fripperied dress in the style of Audrey Hepburn. I never knew that. In all my years of looking at the photo, it never registered that she wasn't wearing white frills; presumably my expectation of what wedding clothes should look like overrode my memory of how hers did look.

The golden autumn appears to be ending. The forecast for the rest of the week is for grey skies, temperatures in the low to mid teens, and rain. Ah well, it was good while it lasted.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

Very smart, sophisticated couple.

No matter when it happens, good when we look at what is as it is.

September 26, 2007 at 1:41:00 a.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home