Thursday, September 20, 2007

Credit where it's due

I booked the flights for my trip to Canada last night, directly through Lufthansa telephone sales as I always do. (My experience is that travel agents charge for a service that I can perform just as well myself.) We quickly found a flight, reserved window seats both ways and arranged payment. kthxbye (as the cool kids say)

The price was high, but then getting to Canada always is expensive. It's a lousy destination from the airline's point of view: relatively few people want to go there, but it's so far away that you need to send a damned big plane nonetheless.

A satisfactory outcome, one might say. I wasn't going to complain.

So you can imagine my surprise when the ticket agent called me back half an hour later to say that he'd found a way to save nearly 350 Euros, just by changing the time of the initial leg from Stuttgart to Frankfurt*. He had taken it upon himself to see whether there wasn't a cheaper connection, and called me to suggest it.

Now that's what I call good service. Well done, Lufthansa. Herr Lamprecht: if we ever meet, I owe you a beer.


* In clarification, the change means that I go by train rather than by air. Certain Lufthansa "scheduled flights" run on rails. It's called "integrated transportation services" and is a good idea.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Jenni said...

What an usual service professional! I think it is great that they are able to integrate the rail and air systems - a benefit of living in Europe for sure.

September 20, 2007 at 3:30:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Diana said...

That is a good idea. Integrated travel. Who knew?

In this day and age of slackitude that agent shines like a star.

September 20, 2007 at 6:43:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger SavtaDotty said...

"Integrated travel" sounds great. Imagine an integrated trip that includes rail, sea, and air legs?

September 20, 2007 at 6:53:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Zhoen said...

You know how Canadians say "eh" all the time, eh? Well, how do they spell Canada? C-A-N-A-D-Eh?

September 20, 2007 at 7:26:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Indeed, very pleasing all round.

September 20, 2007 at 10:04:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Lioness said...

Oh, I'd be displeased if they put me on a bus, seasickness is the pits, but other than that I think it is a rather brilliant idea! Trust the Germans....

September 21, 2007 at 2:38:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eeek, people think we say "eh" all the time whereas we actually only say "eh" when there are Americans around. Welcome to Soviet Canuckistan. Found you through Antonia and thought I'd say hi as I saw good ole Canada mentioned :)

September 21, 2007 at 3:55:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Lioness, I am very pleased to be going by train. It's only 50 mins longer travel time, but I don't need to be at the Stgt airport 60 mins earlier, nor spend the 20 mins getting to the airport.

AM, I've personally never said "eh" — except ironically. Odd, eh?

September 23, 2007 at 10:04:00 a.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home