Sunday, September 09, 2007

That book meme again

Pronoia tagged me for a book meme! It's the second time around for this one, I did it in September 2005, but that was two years ago. Let's see what has changed if anything (I'm trying not to read or remember what I wrote then.)

Total number of books owned

I have about eight hundred books here in Stuttgart, plus a hundred or so in Toronto, plus some four hundred still in an attic in East London.

(This is up about fifty in the last two years, which is not very much at all: barely two books a month, after years when I'd buy two per week. I re-discovered the joy of lending libraries since then, and have so been saving money. These days I only buy books that I expect to re-read several times.)

Last book bought

Früheste deutsche Lieddichtung Literally "earliest German song-poetry," a collection of medieval song texts from the 12th century, in Mittelhochdeutsch and modern German on opposite pages. Our buses and subway carry short poems interspersed among the ads; one that caught my eye recently is quoted in this book. I was so taken with the poem, and pleased with myself for being able to read it, that I noted the book's title and tracked down a copy.

Last book read

The last book I finished was Beowulf; I'm currently reading "Inspektor Jury sucht den Kennington Smaragd" by Martha Grimes, and Paul Cartledge's "Thermopylae, the battle that changed the world" which I wrote about in November. So far, it's living up to the reviews: a fascinating tale well told. It would be worth a post, one of these days, to examine why Thermopylae is so important to me (actually, that post makes a pretty good start at it).

Five books that mean a lot to you

Lawrence Durrell, The Alexandria Quartet

F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Philip Larkin, Collected Poems

J.D. Salinger, Franny and Zooey

George Orwell, the four volumes of his Collected Essays, Journalism and Letters. What? <sings>It's my blog and I'll cheat if I want to.</sings>


And now, the best part: where I get to annoy some of you immensely. I tag Jean, Pacian, Rob, Antonia and Philip. [Updated] well, since Antonia is away for a while, let's add the Lioness to the party.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Lioness said...

First of all, I refuse to take anyone who reads Martha Grimes IN GERMAN seriously, even though you like Philip Larkin. Secondly and actually finally, nothing has changed in my answers except for having added a few books. So maybe I'll link to the old post and update?

Also, whose eyelashes did you mean? You never met Bee.

September 10, 2007 at 12:58:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Oh, I inferred that Bee was the friend with whom you didn't go clubbing recently, that the photos you mentioned were related to those of the pair of you posing as rockstars (except that we didn't see much of her). My bad.

Re the meme: sure, update away.

September 10, 2007 at 8:12:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

And re Martha Grimes auf Deutsch: listen, I live in Germany. I take what I can get.

September 10, 2007 at 8:13:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Lioness said...

Excuses, excuses... With exceedingly cheap paperbacks for sale on ebay and amazon - even German ones - oh, EXCUSES!

And no, that was my friend V. Bee you'll see soon enough. As soon as she deigns to.

Martha Grimes. In German. Shame on you!

September 10, 2007 at 7:11:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Pacian said...

I'll get right to it as soon as I've had some sleep and finished my myriad errands. And finished the book I'm reading.

September 10, 2007 at 11:06:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

I am duly contrite. My head I hang in shame.

September 10, 2007 at 11:52:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger * said...

ach the nice books - i do it in a bit. hope you are well.

September 14, 2007 at 2:15:00 a.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home