Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The view from here

My very messy desktop.
Messy, with computers.
Originally uploaded by udge
Perhaps posting this will shame me into cleaning up my desk. And perhaps I'll win the lottery.

The Münsters have reached a decision: the job goes ahead. Hooray. We will meet in early October, just before my trip to Canada for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary (have I mentioned this yet?). They reckon now with two months' work, which would still nearly double my income for the year. What a relief.

[Updated: Mr. Münster waited until I had replied saying that I was still available and interested, then wrote a follow-up mail with the bad news (a clever tactic, I must remember that). They cannot meet my proposed hourly rate, because they're doing the job on spec without a commitment from their client. They offered me a flat fee for two months' work, which amounts to 60% of the rate I'd asked (itself a 20% discount on what is usual in the profession) but they will pay my expenses (which will be minimal). Sigh. If I didn't desperately need the money, I'd tell him to fuck off; but I do need the money so there we are.]

I shall say nothing about this to Ageing Yuppie. I shall let him call up all frantic and offer me a job starting in 48 hours, then tell him sorrowfully that I'm now fully booked. Heheheh. Mean-spirited? Moi? Never.

That means that the design stage of the competition really must be finished off during September (leaving the prettying-up of final drawings). To work.

But first: today is Talk like a pirate day. Arrrr. Avast there. Belay that!

Carry on.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

There, you see, it is astonishing how things tend to work out, when you take a hard decision that is the right one for you. Have a little trust in yourself :-)

September 19, 2007 at 11:22:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Hello Jean, welcome back. Thanks for the encouragement.

September 19, 2007 at 12:51:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home