Saturday, October 06, 2007

Arrived

... in the Stampede City (as it calls itself, as though Boston were to be known solely for its marathon). Flight was pleasingly uneventful, good weather and often clear skies. I saw the mountains of eastern Greenland for the first time in all these decades of regular trans-Atlantic flying: very rugged, very high, quite impressive. There was no sign of human activity between crossing over Iceland three hours into the flight, and seeing the first electricity lines in northern Alberta six hours later (an hour before landing). I thought (as I often do) what a peculiar thing it is to fly halfway around the world on a whim, just for a party; and how strange that this mid-air tin can should be some people's regular place of work.

There was, alas, a screwup with the tickets: somewhere between my booking window seats on all four flights and the agent reading me back the seat numbers, and when I turned up at the airport in Frankfurt, all these reservations were lost. Either the Lufthansa agent forgot to carry them forward when he changed my first flight to the train, or (more likely) they were lost during the transfer between Lufthansa (where I booked the tickets) and Air Canada (who actually ran the flight). In the end it was OK, because I was able to change at the gate to a window seat; I just hope that my return trip won't be spent in the middle of the plane.

Memo to Lufthansa and Air Canada: Pardon me for interrupting your tenth-anniversary backslapping, but this Star Alliance partnership thingy of yours still needs a bit of debugging.

Weather coldish and grey, seamless overcast and 3°C as I landed. The forecast is for warmth, Sunday should be sunny and mid-teens.

My favourite cousin and her family are well, everyone seems healthy and happy. The kids are growing, my gods, her son is as tall as she now.

Mail is downloading as I write, some 6923 messages on the server which are new to my laptop but not to me. There seems to be no way to delete mail without downloading it. Ah well, it's a flat-rate broadband connection so what the hell. Just saw a subject line flash past: "Now you can have sex up to 10 times a day." Dear gods, what kind of unhappy, uninformed, gulllible clod believes this crap? Somebody does, else the spammers would find another game.

Cappuccino awaits, and there are hares on the lawn that need watching.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Pacian said...

Advertising executives often delegate to other companies, who delegate to other companies and so on, which is how big brand names end up indirectly paying for someone to cram your computer with malware, something which certainly isn't effective at increasing sales.

I guess what I'm getting at is that there may not be anyone in the world stupid enough to open that email and/or follow the link. But that may not stop many more like it being sent out.

October 6, 2007 at 5:42:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Air Canada" makes me dream of infinite green forests, valleys and peaks, woods covered in snow.
I hope that the cold weather will soon come back here too. Yesterday there were 25 C.

Glad that you're well and happy with your family.

October 6, 2007 at 7:07:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Pacian: what a depressing thought, it means we'll never be free of the damned stuff.

May: yes, that's very much what Canada is about. There was snow under the trees on the way to Banff on Monday; temperatures here are around zero overnight and low teens during the day. And I am very happy.

October 10, 2007 at 4:37:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Rob said...

Sex ten times a day? Good God.

Here's the opposite extreme, of course (I 'm just about to post on it).

October 13, 2007 at 1:38:00 a.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home