Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The prize is not what you win

consolation prize text as Christmas tree
NaBloPoMo
Originally uploaded by udge.
M. Kennedy (as she now styles herself) made me smile again, even though I too didn't take anything away from the Great Big NaBloPoMo Prizegiving Ceremony.

Actually, there was more than that. In addition to the right to pat myself on the back, I also got a sense that posting every day might be a thing of value and interest in itself. It's a habit that I now find hard to break, I somehow cannot bring myself not to post regularly.

Some cleverclogs psychologist William Glasser coined the expression positive addiction in the Seventies, to refer to those (few, usually) hard-to-break habits that are actually good for us, like jogging or meditation. Or reading: I get itchy on holiday when I can't read every day because time or books are missing.

Maybe I should declare this to be National Daily Meditation Month (NaDaMeMo) and force myself to sit for X minutes every morning, perhaps that too would turn into a habit by the end of the month.

Daily blogging has become a positive addiction for me, doing it feels good and the thought of not doing it feels bad. Part of that is simply relaxing about what I write, I've pushed my perfectionism/fun slider way over to the right. I'm aware that there was a certain ratio of non-meat cereal filler in my posts in November, but I'm not sure that this is a problem. If I do write for myself, then it's just a question of what the "for" actually means: is the joy of maintaining the flow necessarily lesser than the joy of laying down some high-quality words (which seldom happens)? Think on't, laddie. To be continued.

5 Comments:

Blogger brooksba said...

I love it when people blog daily. Readers get a chance to know that something is still going on and posting more often gives a better look into the real personality of the writer. Writing is also relaxing and gives a feeling of accomplishment. There is this book, that I don't like, called "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People," by Stephen Covey. The book was boring, but one of the things he wrote has made it into the corporate world I exist - do something for 21 days and it becomes habit. It reminds me of NaBloPoMo. Keep writing!

December 5, 2006 at 11:57:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Vicki said...

The idea was to get people writing, and you did it. Good job. I am impressed.

December 6, 2006 at 9:03:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Vicki said...

I just looked at your profile. Wow. I haven't thought about Rashomon for years. I really don't remember the movie -- it was featured in a college course -- so maybe it's time for me to rent it and be reminded.

December 6, 2006 at 9:18:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i definitely want one of those perfect/fun slider t-shirts if you get them made up.

i also stumbled on to your self-portrait over there at flickr. it always amazes me the picture you create of someone in your mind when you read their words but don't know exactly what they look like. not that you look terribly different from how i imagined but it certainly is interesting. made me thing we must meet one day if we're ever in each other's corner of europe (or canada for that matter). it must also be quite different to hear your words come out of your mouth. :)

December 6, 2006 at 12:43:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

I've enjoyed the daily blogging from others. Haven't got a chance to do it myself yet. I'm just trying to get caught up on everyone else's posts!

December 8, 2006 at 6:33:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home