Monday, December 04, 2006

Blah

Had an e-mail from the seminar-party-event-thing leader asking me "urgently" to confirm my booking. Damn, I hate this. I would love to go, but the simple truth is that I can't afford it. I should just face up to that, admit it and tell her "no."

G and U are playing sillybuggers in the office, they cancelled three days' work last week (each time on an hour's notice). We had left it that they would contact me about work today; when I hadn't heard by 1pm I sent them an e-mail which went unanswered. The phone rang busy all afternoon. I don't know what's going on there, and I'm not sure I want to.

Ageing Yuppie called to ask whether I'd be able to work four days in Liverpool South in the week before Christmas. I know these stints of yore: 16 hours straight behind the desk, coffee via intravenous drip, a huge and unhealthy meal with far too much booze, six hours' sleep in a borrowed bed — and then do it again. Tons of money, but the week after is really only for sleeping. I'm getting too old for this stuff, but on the other hand I really really need the money. Just as well that Christmas follows!

My partner in the database (odd that I haven't given him an anonym yet, have to work on that) is off to Miami for an art fair. We haven't yet spoken about the Hobbyists, I don't even know whether he has spoken to them at all. Damn, I hate this too. (Perhaps the reason I haven't given him an anonym is that I have always expected him to bail out?)

The insomnia seems to be over, I slept through Saturday night and would have managed last night as well had some arsehole not broken the windows of the drugstore on the corner at 4am. Donner und Blitzen. The alarm rang for twenty minutes before the cops found someone to switch it off. There was no sign of anyone being arrested, so presumably it was either pure vandalism or somebody smashed-and-grabbed five bottles of shampoo. The fire department service truck came by to close up the window, they cut two plywood boards to shape and glued them onto the remaining plate glass with silicon.

There, wasn't that thrilling? A Day In The Life Of A Software Developer.

(Yes, I am feeling somewhat sorry for myself.)

Well, we can't end it like that. Here's a little light relief.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger alan said...

That's typical of how things work isn't it? Just when you think you can finally get some sleep something totally unpredictable steps in to prevent it.

I expect the police are looking for someone with very clean hair.

December 4, 2006 at 9:33:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Some of those concepts sound pretty good to me.
Glad you're sleeping - I'm impressed with the services of the fire department.

December 4, 2006 at 9:50:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger brooksba said...

Things always get hectic this time of year. I hope you get some time for yourself and make it to the events you wish to go to.

December 5, 2006 at 11:47:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Alan's comment cracked me up.

Donner und Blitzen reminds me of what my mom would say when she got mad at my sister and I. If she said Dunna Vetta (not sure of the spelling), we knew we were in trouble because mom was swearing. Yeah. Turns out it means Thunder Weather.

December 8, 2006 at 6:27:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

Since people keep coming by having googled the expression, I will correct DM's spelling. The expression is "Donnerwetter" and does literally mean "thundery weather".

October 11, 2008 at 8:17:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home