Friday, November 24, 2006

Which buttock no prescribe

The spammers are getting smarter. I actually read the e-mail which had that title, after I finished laughing out loud and picked myself up off the floor. I'm sorry to say that it was just the usual "genuine fake RoIex" nonsense, but the point is that the cleverly odd title made me look. It worked. Damn.

I tried to install a new DVD burner in G's computer yesterday, and failed miserably - even though the computer is a Mac and I bought said burner from the local Mac shop. The problem was simple but unsolveable: Apple's designers presumed that all present and future CD/DVD players would have the same tray dimensions, and put lovely curved surfaces on the Mac's frame centred around this presumed standard height. The front plate on the tray of this DVD burner is three millimetres (one-eighth of an inch) higher than expected, therefore it catches on the frame and cannot pop out. Bah. I shall take it back for exchange or refund as soon as I post this. [Updated: read the comments for the - very simple - solution.]

Grey day, an odd shadowless luminosity through seamless cloud cover; cold. Looks like it might snow.

[Updated after work] No snow, it's 14° right now (nearly 7pm). Crazy weather, hot one day and cold the next.

Twenty-four down, six to go.

4 Comments:

Blogger brooksba said...

You know, the title is unique. Quite humorous!

We're in that time of year where the weather can't decide if it should be cold or hot too. Enjoy the warm days while they last!

November 24, 2006 at 9:22:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Pamela said...

We had a computer problem at the office (PC) and the guy I talked to said all I needed to do was swap for a new drive and insisted that it was an easy repair. I told him I wasn't much of a techie. It took me half the morning just to figure out how to get the old drive out. Then endless frickin around and I couldn't get it to work and a family friend told me it was a master/slave problem. (figured) I finally had to beg your typical zero social skills tech guy to come to the office ("we have money") and finish the job and even he said it wasn't so simple.

November 25, 2006 at 3:13:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Zhoen said...

Mac is good, mac ain't perfect. With a PC, this would have been expected and you'd have planned for it. Mac spoil us, think everything easy. Poor Mac.

November 25, 2006 at 3:53:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

The solution was simple enough when one knows the secret (like Columbus' egg). All trays are the same size, what differs is the manufacturer's ego-boosting faceplate. Pull off the faceplate, and the tray fits perfectly.

Yes, we Mac-users are pampered by the expectation that it will Just Work, and get annoyed about things that a Windows user expects to see happening.

November 25, 2006 at 5:21:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home