Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thank your first commenter day

According to Sass, yesterday was "Thank your first commenter day." I missed that somehow, so I'll make up for it now.

My first comment came eight minutes after I posted my very first piece on my brand-new blog (not that I saw it arrive, I was by then already on the way to work). TheLearner bid me welcome, in the first and far from last example of the kindness of strangers that is the Blogosphere. (There is still a Blogger with the screen name "TheLearner," but it's not my commenter: he was an American, the current Learner is from Madras, India.)

As I said previously, the immediate response of comments from all around the world is a major part of the pleasure that I get from blogging. Blogging isn't about writing, it's about community: wondering why Dale hasn't written in a week, or being pleased to see that Jean has posted again, or watching Zhoen roll unstoppably towards the 50,000-words mark, or commiserating with Philip over his stolen laptop (ah well) and the not-backed-up photos of his kids that were on it (disaster), or keeping an eye on Marzipan and Mermaid Girl as they grow up.

So, in the spirit of, er, yesterday: wherever you are, dear ex-Learner, thank you very much for your comment.

In other news my mother is back home from the hospital, weary and sore but basically OK. She's able to walk around the house, and wrote a mass e-mail to tell us (family) how she's getting on.

Twenty-three down, seven to go.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger sirbarrett said...

Blogging is kind of like a community behaviour too but we do it in solitude -like children playing separately but beside each other in the same room. I think reading in a coffee shop is kind of like that where you are doing your own thing but you appreciate the company. Us grown-ups like to have fun writing and checking up on others.

I'm glad your mother is back. My grandfather also came back from the hospital this week after a nasty flu. Remember to get your vitamin C. Gesundheit!

November 23, 2006 at 7:17:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Zhoen said...

It's so hard to make friends as an adult, without the commonality of school. Even when you meet people you like and can talk with, there is that issue of scheduling and other obligations. Parents with young children are especially isolated, as are those of us in new cities. Blogs cut through that, it's an expanded version of pen pals.

Thanks for the mention, Udge. Keep on with the daily blog. Reading you every day, even when I am out of words to comment with, has been keeping me going. I had to delete 2k of crap in order to see my way to finishing at all.

Oh, and as it is Thanksgiving here, thank you, thank you so much.

November 23, 2006 at 8:12:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger alan said...

This prompted me to track down my own very first comment (although I didn't turn them on for a while). It reads:

"Ha-ha-ha... glass empty sort of person. Heeh-heeh-heeh.
Lady of the Lake | 18.03.04

Now I'm wondering who on earth Lady of the Lake is, or was.

I completely agree with you about the pleasure of reading comments from all around the world, of meeting and communicating with people in a way that, less than a decade ago, was inconceivable.

November 24, 2006 at 1:12:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

I think it's just more fun to lurk and pounce only once in a while.

November 24, 2006 at 2:49:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger brooksba said...

Glad to hear your mom is back at home and walking around.

Getting comments is fun in the blogosphere. It is nice to start friendships and get the feedback on posting.

November 24, 2006 at 11:11:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Postmodern Sass said...

Actually, Thank Your First Commenter Day was according to Neil Kramer, a.k.a. Citizen of the Month. A blog that is usually well worth reading, by the way.

Glad your mother is better.

November 25, 2006 at 4:48:00 a.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home