Sunday, November 26, 2006

Balcony blogging

Believe it or not, I'm sitting on the balcony drinking coffee as I write this (the braunes Rolltablett is again in service). It's about 14° and sunny, with a few scattered clouds; I'm wearing my leather jacket with a scarf and baseball cap and am quite warm enough. Last year at this time, I was talking about snow. Crazy weather.

The party last night started well (and ended well too, not to keep you unnecessarily in suspense). G, U and I sat on their balcony (it was 17° at 8pm) drinking Sekt and listening to Die Zauberflöte as we waited for the guests to arrive. Stuttgart by night is quite pretty because of the situation in this deep and narrow valley. G and U live in what's locally called Halbhöhenlage meaning halfway up the valley side, between plebean flatlanders such as myself and the patricians who occupy the very ridge, with a nice view over the valley and out across the Neckar River to the Württembergkapelle. I am astounded that they haven't bought a telescope or at least a good pair of binoculars, it's one of the first things I'd have done.

We sat and looked out at the city lights, talking about birthdays and wishes, as the Queen of the Night did her thing.

I could see a pair of young women two streets away and downhill getting ready to go out for the evening, trying to decide what to wear. They would both disappear for several minutes, then meet up again and each would twirl and display while the other (presumably) offered advice; then they would disappear again. This went on for a quarter-hour, through several changes of costume, before both were satisfied. (For the record they went as a contrasting pair, in very similar white and black party dresses (narrow waist, deep back, above-the-knee ruffly skirt).)

The party went on until 2am, with good conversation, good food and far too much wine. The other guests were people I've known nearly as long as G, among them a Czech woman who had the great good fortune to be in Rome on a package holiday with her parents in August 1968 and so has lived in Germany most of her life. She was married briefly to a Slovak, also resident in Germany; their 11-year-old daughter speaks German, Czech, Slovak and English (learned in school). Welcome to Europe.

I shall arise now and call my mother, to see how she's getting on. More later, perhaps.

Twenty-six down, four to go.

5 Comments:

Blogger Norma said...

I'm stopping by as a member of NaBloPoMo. I have 10 blogs, but this is the only one that sees much action, Collecting my thoughts. Keeping writing!

I always have to rethink the temps when a European mentions it. No one would sit outside here in that temperature (F).

November 26, 2006 at 5:14:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Heather said...

I'm just lurking from NoBloPoMo and wanted to say your writting is wonderful. I'm taking an onine Psychology class from my state college and my instructor just moved to Fussen, Germany with her (German) Husband. The pictures she has showed us are great!

Happy blogging...

November 26, 2006 at 5:44:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger brooksba said...

It is so nice that the weather is holding up to still enjoy a few nights out on the balconies. Sounds like the party was wonderful - love the observation about the two who were getting ready and continually checking with each other. I do with the US was more like Europe in the fact more spoke various languages.

November 26, 2006 at 11:41:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger * said...

you're lucky with the weather udge. Here is the same temperature yet always wind and rain.

November 27, 2006 at 5:01:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Thought you were nuts. Remembered you're in Germany. I think we actually did reach 14 F today. It was cold!

I like the visual of the women deciding what they were going to wear.

December 3, 2006 at 1:25:00 a.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home