Saturday, December 01, 2012


Were someone to ask me to curate a collection of [pick a number] significant human-made objects, one of the first to come on board would be a pull-toy mouse from the British Museum's Egyptian collection. I'm not sure of the date, but the number "4000" is in there somewhere: either 4000 BCE or four thousand years old; I tend to the former. It's small, not much bigger than lifesize, and fairly crude, as you might expect of something made with technologies that were around then: clay body tapering to a point, little wheels for the feet, and a string to pull it by. It's a very simple object, dusty and dull even by the elevated standards of the British Museum, and I am certain that many visitors never notice it. I find it evocative and deeply moving, and it would have pride of place in my collection.

(Reminded of this by reading Celia Pearce's "Communities of Play")


Anonymous Andy said...

Makes me want to go and look now :-)

December 11, 2012 at 2:26:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home