Saturday, January 03, 2009

About last year

Things I figured out/learned/noticed in 2008 (in no particular order).
  1. Always carry a notebook and a pencil, even if you are also carrying a laptop.

  2. Ten years after telling myself "You're too old to lie to yourself and the world" I am still doing so.

  3. Crossing the Atlantic seems more unpleasant and less interesting each time I do it.

  4. Nearly everyone else in the world is as lonely and as hungry for contact as you are.

  5. Everyone responds positively to a smile and a friendly word.

  6. A little kindness goes a long way.

  7. The surest way to become happy is by making someone else happy.

  8. I need to say "no" more often.

  9. I need to say a clear and definite "yes" more often too.

  10. I need to take my responsibilities more seriously.

  11. I need to take myself less seriously.

  12. Some problems do not go away if you ignore them.

  13. Most problems are far less drastic than they first seem.

  14. Cooking makes me happy.

  15. I am probably not going to die any time soon, so I should start thinking about how the next few decades will look.

  16. My desire to help you does not mean that you desire to be helped, or even that you are willing to admit that you might need help.

  17. People who would be shocked or disturbed to hear the truth would abandon you sooner or later anyway, so better tell them right now and get it over with.

  18. My default personality, the Udge who blogs here, is only one of many possible Me's.

  19. My "minority personalities" have skills and positive qualities that my default personality cannot or will not access; but they can express these attributes in my real life.

  20. Being groomed and then slept on by a cat is somehow very comforting.

  21. There's much more to life than money, but having no money sucks.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

Have you ever thought that your "minority personalities" are all just you, wholly there, but seen from different perspectives?

No one who writes truly hides.

Cats can be very soothing.

Any chance you could cook more in your life?

January 3, 2009 at 11:39:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Dale said...

Wow, you blog with your default personality? I can't imagine doing that. He'd have nothing to say: he's too afraid of offending people :-)

January 4, 2009 at 2:51:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Evelyn said...

You've learned quite a bit of very useful information in 2008!

And, Dale, I'm laughing out loud, because you've described my "default personality" EXACTLY! Have we met?

January 4, 2009 at 5:24:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Lioness said...

Brilliant, loved it, loved that you wrote it. Even nodded to a lot of it. Except the cooking, I'm a bit shocked abt the cooking - really?

I don't think Udge is really just a default personality though, I think he's mostly you, mostly whom you trust to show to others. The other bits of you are you as well already, they stem from you but they're riskier.

January 4, 2009 at 11:32:00 a.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home