Saturday, November 22, 2008

Awake

… since more than an hour now, I'd been drifting in and out of sleep for a while. It's too early and I am too tired to stay up, though: this is not yet morning. Hot chocolate is brewing.

Feeling an odd blah-ness physically, which I put down to my late cheese-and-garlic-heavy dinner last night and the half-litre of beer that accompanied it. Another good reason to go back to bed.

I've been hearing an intermittent electromechanical peeping sound for about a week now, but only at night. You'd think it would be easy enough to locate something that peeps every 35 seconds, but I cannot even state with confidence which room it's coming from. I thought that it was a low-battery warning, but have checked everything which I know uses 9-volt batteries: all fine. It's a mystery.

In other news, winter has finally arrived. It snowed overnight, the rooftops and cars are covered finger-deep (visual estimate, I didn't go outside to check).

In musical news, let me share with you a delight: the second joint-project album between David Byrne and Brian Eno, "Everything that happens will happen today," thirty years after their previous collaboration. Byrne described it as folk electronic gospel, which is a strange niche but a pretty good fit. Enjoy.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger SavtaDotty said...

Could the beeping be the failing battery in a smoke alarm?

November 22, 2008 at 11:22:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

That was my first thought, Savtadotty; the smoke alarm is fine.

November 22, 2008 at 1:38:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Zhoen said...

Phone need recharging? Could be a neighbor's smoke alarm or phone or snooze alarm.

Oh, and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_sleep_phase_syndrome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_sleep_phase_syndrome

November 22, 2008 at 5:38:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Dale said...

That's been happening in my house, too. mysterious beeps. smoke alarms fine. kitchen? top of the basement stairs? we can't find it. I'm glad we can all hear it, or I'd suspect it was some microchip in my skull :-)

November 22, 2008 at 5:52:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Pacian said...

Something in my office is beeping intermittently as well. It is probably the secret code-speak of an invisible invasion force of alien robots.

November 22, 2008 at 9:13:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

Pacian: that must be it! To arms!!

November 22, 2008 at 11:27:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Wow, glad you gave that naboplomo or whatever it was a goodbye. But we do like to hear from you.

So, how is work going?

November 25, 2008 at 7:47:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cheese and garlic dinners should require proof of mastery before being served. it's not to be eaten lightly. i think entire civilizations have fallen into oblivion due to gastric distress. be careful, my friend. a little red wine would have helped.

December 2, 2008 at 6:44:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Dale said...

Tap tap tap

Is this thing on?

December 2, 2008 at 7:27:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Lioness said...

A blip in the Matrix?

Am typing his wearing fingerless gloves, my kingdom for central heating!

December 3, 2008 at 10:13:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Collagemama said...

Do you ever get little spiders residing in your doorbell chime box? They disturb The Force and cause buzzing. Maybe they can cause beeping as well.

December 5, 2008 at 1:42:00 a.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home