Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Layers of geekishness

Being an outburstingness of geekitude.

So, I'm sitting at my Mac Mini, looking at its screen. A Mac program called "Parallels Desktop" is running, inside which is Windows XP. On Windows, I am connected via VPN to a server somewhere in the Metaverse, which in turn has connected me to a client computer somewhere else in the Metaverse (but probably not a million meta-miles away from the server). I am running "Remote Desktop" on that client. When I move my Mac's mouse, the cursor of that meta-client moves across its meta-screen.

I am using someone else's computer through my own.

The idea is to tie me into the development of the Münster's software: I have access to their tools and data, without needing to install either on my computer. Münstermeister and Beans and I can all work on the database at the same time, from three different cities, and in theory from any computer anywhere in the world. I could be working from a public machine at an internet café at the beach (were there only a beach within x hundred kilometres from here).

And I think to myself, what a wonderful world.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are welcome to come dip your toes in my pool and sit in the sunshine here. But I think a beach in the Caribbean would be marvelous right now.

February 12, 2008 at 5:49:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Lioness said...

Amen.

Udge, Joe ie torturing me!

February 12, 2008 at 6:58:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home