Monday, January 07, 2008

Still alive

Just a brief post to allay the dire suspicions of those who harbour such things.

Two snippets related to my last post. Reading in the "New Yorker" from December 26, 2005 (it's a long story) I find this quote from Philip Pullman, author of the trilogy "His dark materials:"
Although I call myself an atheist, I am a Church of England atheist, and a 1662 Book of Common Prayer atheist, because that's the tradition I was brought up in and I cannot escape those early influences.
In a reply to one of this week's Posted Secrets, an e-mail commenter said
Whenever I go into a church building, I apologize to God for not believing in Him.
Exactly.

In other news Darren Broadfoot lists 44 fascinating and little-known facts about William Shakespeare.

In other, other news here's an amusing little art-history quiz: Famous or not?. Give it a try. I shall post my score in a day or two, to avoid intimidating you all. (Apologies to whomever I am borrowing this from, I can't remember else I would have credited you. Honestly.)

In otherest news Last but not least, here's a new favourite blog that I haven't mentioned before: the story of Charlie, an orphaned coyote pup being raised by "me and a tomcat in a one-room log cabin in Wyoming."

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

Well, apparently I like Churchill. I know I don't like Cezanne, so missed that one, otherwise I did fine. Winston may have missed his real calling.

Glad you are still alive.

I'm planning on reading Pullman soon.

January 8, 2008 at 12:59:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm, 67%. Didn't know Hitler did such detailed renderings (no, didn't pick any of his).
I think the attitude of "It is not necessary for me to spit in the stoup, Don Luis, because I do not believe in God." is one that I more align with.

January 8, 2008 at 6:56:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Diana said...

Missed 2, so 83%. I guess that year of art history my freshman year almost 25 years ago wasn't a complete waste, just mostly a complete waste.

Shakespeare rocks.

January 9, 2008 at 1:58:00 a.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home