Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Siebenschläfer

Just managed to get to the corner store and back between rainshowers. Good.

Today is grey, cold, windy and rainy. Today is also Siebenschläfertag. Folk wisdom states (and the weather statistics confirm) that the weather on this day determines the weather for the coming seven weeks. Bad.

Chaos reigns in the database. It seems that the Mac version of the Hobbyist setup is ambiguously worded and appears to tell the user to do foolish things, and a user has just caused herself trouble by carrying out these apparent instructions. Damn and blast. Is it in my job description to be the person who understands the finer points of the German language? Why do you, dear Georgette, imagine that I give you these things to read over, if not that you should think about them? There is—at least in English, at least in my Weltanschauung—a difference between "reading" and "moving one's eyes across printed material," and that difference has to do with a little thing that we call thought. Dear gods.

And we pressed five hundred copies of the CD.

[Updated seven hours later] Well, I am uncertain what to make of the weather today. As I wrote it was (and had been) raining steadily, but the last five hours or so have been mostly sunny. At present the sky is nearly clear. So I guess that's the prediction: seven weeks of meteorological mixed blessings.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

Stupidity knows no bounds.

June 27, 2007 at 2:22:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Wait a minute - I thought you were a Mac person.
OK, I know, never have a programmer create user documentation or you get what you deserve.

June 27, 2007 at 6:18:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

I am indeed a Mac person, what I'm not is "a native German-speaker." I try my hardest to avoid the dreaded programmer-written documentation by having it written by others for me to correct, and the others then re-correct (grammatify) my revisions. It doesn't always work.

June 27, 2007 at 6:22:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home