Thursday, February 10, 2005

Minor repairs

The dentist glued my gold filling back into place this afternoon, with only a small amount of drilling to ream out the hole. I was in his office for less than half an hour, good service and no waiting. (I'm really curious to work out his hourly rate in Euros!)

I have been wearing a mouthguard at night for three months now, to prevent me gnashing my teeth in my sleep. The need for the mouthguard came about as result of tearing the cartilage pad between jawbone and skull on the left side, which came about as a result of decades of bad posture/habits. The mouthguard was fitted by the jaw-surgery department of the local teaching hospital, so I took for granted that the design, manufacture and fitting were correct. (They also diagnosed the condition and sent me to the physiotherapist.)

Well, I showed Dr. K the mouthguard - and he just exploded. "What the hell is that? Incompetence! Useless! No, worse than useless: Dangerous! That thing would turn a one-time acute problem into a permanent chronic condition. Look at the thing: Even my assistant recognises that it's wrongly made!" He was absolutely shocked, there's no other word for it. Which leaves me feeling just a little bit pissed at the staff of the hospital, I have a nasty feeling of having been duped.

The upshot is that I have an appointment to be fitted for a proper mouthguard next month, which I will wear for a year.

At least he approved of the physiotherapy.

1 Comments:

Blogger nancy oarneire graham said...

udge, please. please. make another top-level post about this and say exactly what is wrong with your mouthguard. i suspect that mine is similarly wrong but don't know how to get it fixed.

what will the new one be like? who is making it? what measures does this dentist feel will address the root of the problem.

(meditation is vital but in my experience does not stop the grinding. tried hypnosis mp3, does not seem to help either. tried craniosacral, getting expensive. energy work: same thing.)

February 11, 2005 at 3:47:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home