Saturday, February 05, 2005

Awake

I woke the first time at 4am, but managed to get back to sleep and slept again until just now (5:30). No, I didn't get up and clean the toilet to punish my subconscious, but I didn't blog either. Half a "hooray" for me.

I believe that I have discovered something useful about (some cases of) (my) insomnia.

I woke (the first time) from a dream which had become entangled in itself, causing the "conscious" Udge to take sides and attempt to steer it; unfortunately I steered in the direction of dream-logic, trying to complete the dream, rather than steering out of that dream into a better place. This caused a tightening cycle of entanglements and course corrections that eventually woke me.

At that point, I had been asleep for some 4.5 hours, which is three 90-minute REM sleep phases. One phase earlier would have been 2:30, when I also often wake. One phase later would have been 5:30, when I woke again today. Did anyone else just say "bingo"?

I have sometimes been able to steer my dreaming self out of nightmares and sleep on without really waking up. Perhaps I could try to do the same when insomnious?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger nancy oarneire graham said...

I'm glad you didn't clean the toilet.

How do you steer yourself out of insomnia? I would like to hear more about that. I breathe and focus on relaxing my eye muscles, then finally get up.

If you can get back to sleep without getting up, please tell us how!

February 8, 2005 at 5:06:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

Could you see my toilet, you might not be glad that I didn't clean it ;-)

I haven't yet tried to guide myself out of insomnia. It occurred to me that I often wake in the night after becoming entangled in a dream, and that I might attempt to steer the dream-that-wakes-me in the same way that I can sometimes steer away from nightmares. I'll post the results, because it would be a major breakthrough if it does work.

February 8, 2005 at 8:59:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home