Friday, January 28, 2005

About cars

There's snow on the ground, and has been all week. This is very unusual for Stuttgart: snow falls often, but is always gone by the next morning. The temperature has been below zero for a week, for the first time in the ten years that I've lived here.

The snow has revealed facts previously unknown about my neighbours, specifically their relationships with their cars.

About a third of the cars on my street are entombed in old snow, their side windows and headlights are thickly covered over. In some cases, I can see freshly fallen snow filling the furrows where kids scooped up handfulls for throwing. These cars have clearly not been driven since the snow began on Sunday evening.

I was walking back from the shops yesterday afternoon, and noticed a faint murmur of music coming from ... where exactly? The street was full of parked cars, but none seemed to be running. Then I noticed that one of the covered-over immobile-since-Sunday cars was in fact occupied. There was a man sitting in the dark, behind snowed-up windscreen and side windows, with the dome light on, reading a newspaper and listening to the radio.

As it happened, I could see this car from my living room windows, so I watched for a while after I got home; and saw him get out of the car, lock it up, and go into an apartment building.

Let me emphasize that the car had not been driven in a week: it was fully covered in snow. So he wasn't reading the paper after driving home from work. He was wearing a blazer and indoor shoes, so he had not climbed into the car after coming home on the subway (which runs above ground in my neighbourhood).

He had left his apartment to go and sit in his car, read the paper there, then went back to his apartment.

Fascinating. A new life style is in the making before my eyes: rent a cheap apartment with too few rooms, and use your car as an auxiliary living space to make up the difference. Cars without wheels or engines would be the logical next step.

2 Comments:

Blogger nancy oarneire graham said...

...or a house on wheels, as a friend of mine designs.

I want to know more about this incident, though. How did this guy get into his car without disturbing the snowblob in any way? Wouldn't his ankles have gotten wet? Did he have the engine and the heat on? Do you have heated seats in Germany? That's just for starters. This reads like the beginning of a novel.

January 28, 2005 at 1:22:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

Those are all good questions, Red, and I'm afraid I have only bad or partial answers. There was clearly some disturbance to the snow layer, else I couldn't have seen into the car; OTOH the snow lay deep, crisp and even on most parts of the car. I remember clearly that the windscreen was completely covered; what disturbed me the most, was that he was sitting there looking at the inside of a snowbank. Spooky.

Most German cars do have in-seat heating. "Doesn't yours?" The engine may have been on, too.

The sidewalk would have been nearly clear, because German householders are obliged to shovel and sand in front of their houses/apartments. (A court case on this subject made nation-wide headlines recently: A householder had shovelled his stretch of sidewalk and gone back inside. It started snowing again, and while it snowed a pedestrian slipped and fell, and naturally sued him for damages. The court held that the householder could not be expected to shovel continuously for the unknown future duration of the snowfall, but having shovelled once could then wait until it ended before shovelling again.)

The whole scene was pretty spooky. My first paranoid thought was, "Who is he spying on?" Italo Calvino would have made a quirky-humanistic-sad comedy out of it; Thomas Harris a three-course meal.

January 28, 2005 at 6:35:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home