Saturday, August 21, 2004

White morning

Very strange quality of sunlight this morning: flat, white, colour-suppressing like aircraft landing-lights. My first thought was that it had snowed overnight, then remembered that it's the middle of August. That made me curious, so I had to get up and look (several hours ago, I've had breakfast and done my chores since).

Summer is fading, the sun is definitely later & lower in the sky these mornings. There was thick but not heavy cloud in the east, and the combination of the cloud-filter and the low angle produced the white light effect.

Autumn is probably my favourite time of year, "the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness" as Shakespeare put it. Partly what I like is the end of summer, which I find simply too hot. 25° is enough for me, more than that is wasteful. Summers on the Prairies are just right for my taste: sunny but with clouds for shade, warm but with a gentle cooling breeze. Today has started out well, but I'm suspicious of those clouds in the east. We shall see.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home